Note to reader: I kept this page up while I was over in France as a way
of keeping in touch with friends and family, and then I've barely
touched it since then (which was basically the plan). If you find broken
links/inaccurate info/whatever, please let me know.
For a variety of reasons I decided to take one of Tech's wonderful study
abroad opportunities during the summer of 2000; I wanted to do something
different, but I also wanted to take a few classes.
Georgia Tech Lorraine was
the program that I chose, and I had a wonderful time. I've written down
some reflections about my experience.
The summer program was
composed of about 63 students spread over majors such as electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, management, and international affairs.
This page is not really organized in any specific manner. I tried to
write a semi-decent trip log for each mini-trip I went on, and
occasionally I documented happenings at GTL, but for the most part the
focus is on stuff I did away from the actual Georgia Tech Lorraine
campus. This might be misleading if you're a prosective GTL student
trying to figure out what life was like on campus -- for that you'd have
to read my reflections on the trip.
Trip log (or some approximation thereof)
This is the Metz folks putting the flowers in at the main train
station. Apparently they truck in a lot of dirt and plant the flowers
every summer. I have more pictures of this.
- a few pictures before leaving
- I'm taking some classes
- 24/05/2000 page 2 some random pictures
- 29/05/2000 - covers trip to Chamonix
- 30/05/2000 - some random photos
- 01/06/2000 - beginning of trip to Aachen
- 01/06/2000 page 2 - just a few extra shots
- I was a little sick and had 3 tests this week, so there was a little lag. Things should be up to date now. The tests (at least the 2/3 I've seen so far) went well.
- 06/06/2000 - trip to Aachen to see Alex
- 12/06/2000 - trip to Normandy
- CORA - the store of all stores
- My foray into panoramic
photography. Fairly cool; I'm planning on doing some better shots
(with exposure-lock on and a more stable platform). This one was just
an afterthought while I was in Caen, but perhaps I'll get some other
- This weekend we ended up going to Brugge, Belgium for Friday and
Saturday and Amsterdam on Sunday. The page is here.
- This weekend we went down to Füssen and München.
- I went to visit Megan in Frankfurt
and Wiesbaden and generally had a nice time. The date on the
camera must have been wrong; those pictures weren't really taken
during the school week. ;)
- GTL was nice enough to help us throw a 4th of July celebration-type thing instead of the regular dinner.
- GTL took us to Verdun.
- Charlie and I went to Chamonix
again to do some serious hiking.
- I went to Landstuhl, Germany and Bern, Switzerland.
- From the bureau of totally random statistics:
I've taken 1128
pictures so far that I've bothered to save, in 58 days (or so) that
I've been in Europe. That's about 19.45 pictures per day.
- Sillyness at GTL.
- I went to Dijon to see Morgan and had
lots of fun. We saw the Bastille day
fireworks there, which were quite impressive.
- GTL had a group picture time.
- I went for a bike ride along the
Moselle. It wasn't cool to lose my wallet (due to my overpacking a
bag to the point where a zipper pulled apart), but otherwise was very
- Sometimes studying gets the best of you and you just have to explore.
- This weekend I went to Paris with Chris W., Charlie, Michelle,
Elissa, and Jeremy to see Lance Armstrong win the final leg of the Tour
de France and to ride in the arrival ride. We had an awesome
time. Pictures are here and
here. The annotations
leave something to be desired because they were added three months
- Saturday: Went downtown with Brian, James, and Saneesh and had
dinner and a few beers at O'Carolyn's. (It was amusing because the bar
was basically 30% GTL students).
- Sunday: Went to the
Walibi Schtroumpf amusement
park with a large group of GTL students. After spending about 2pm->7pm
at the park, we came back to Metz and caught Mission Impossible: 2 in
the theatre, and then watched the water/music show by the river.
- Monday: Packed, packed, cleaned, packed, threw away, and went
downtown to get tickets for Tuesday's trip. I have some random pictures of Metz and the
trip home here.
- Tuesday: Christine and I went to Epernay, a champagne town, for a day trip.
Drop me an email at email@example.com
if you have any questions or comments. This page gets updated
when I have the time and content to put up. Postcards are also welcome ;)
Georgia Tech Lorraine
Pictures are taken with my kodak dc280
digital camera. All pictues and text are copyright © 2000 Peter
Jensen unless stated otherwise. All rights are reserved; permission
for reuse will be granted in almost all cases, but it is not given
implicitly. All requests for removal of pictures will be honored,
provided that they originate from one of the people
pictured. Corrections of or expansions on my recollections are also